
Today one of my best friend's past away...I can't believe how fast time goes by and how much my dog Sam really made such a huge difference in my life in such a short time. I remember the day we got Sam like it was yesterday I was at my cousin Taryn's house and my Aunt came over and asked me if I had met my new puppy yet...I had no idea what she was talking about but I couldn't wait to get home to meet him. He was a lab and great pyrenees mix and the first time I met him my other dog Ruby already had his whole head covered in her slobber.
Sam was truly an amazing dog. He was never put on a leash and at nights he slept in a kennel for maybe six months of his whole life and other than that he always just hung around our yard with our other dog Ruby and protected his territory. Sam was known for walking around the yard with HUGE sticks in his mouth that were three times his length. He also loved to swim and would always come out of the water to shake his water off all over you and be ready to go again for his next stick. When we would go camping we would take him to the river and he would dive under two feet of water and come up with huge rocks in his mouth. He loved to snuggle and steal the bed camping. He was always a great friend and I often would just sit with him outside in the summer and just lay with him for hours. He made a great pillow. I know he missed his younger years when we used to fill his KONG with peanut butter and play catch with him for hours. He was often caught chewing on bones he might have stolen from neighbors and he came home once or twice from his little walks with porcupine needles in his nose. He had the softest ears I have ever felt and I know his sister Ruby is missing him already. He loved Sunday rides up the canyon and never could wait to get out and run through the woods to look for little creatures and for the river. He had a weird hatred for a certain truck that drives by our house everyday and Sam was sure to be outside when he drove by and he would do his little peel out move with all four legs and without fail he would end his little jaunts with a pee on the fire hydrant. He was so laid back and such a sweetheart I truly miss him and love him so much.
Some people don't and will never understand what an impact a dog can have on their life and you are truly missing out. I miss Sam so much and I know he is out of pain and I am so glad I got to keep him for eleven years. Here are a couple pictures of him recently, if I ever figure out my scanner I will post more pictures.
P.S. the gun in this video was for shooting birds not dogs Sam was an avid bird hunter so he gets a little excited.
"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his." — John Grogan
5 comments:
Im so sorry!! This about made me cry! Im a total Dog person and just thinking about losing my dogs is too much! This was such a sweet post, he was such a cute dog!!
Lacy, I'm sorry to hear about Sam. It sounds like he was an amazing friend...your post made me cry too. What a sweet dog!
I totally understand! I had to put my first dog I ever had down last year and it was so hard. They are such an important part of our lives and always love you unconditionally. I'm sorry you have to go through this!
If you get dog lonely call me and you can borrow ours for as long as you want :) Or you know, just call us anyways to hang out!
I am sorry lacy! Sam was an amazing dog! He definanlty will be missed! Love ya! I am sure Him and Duke are having a blast together!
I am sorry Lacy he was a really good dog I am glad you were able to get some pics of him and video you will love haveing it for years to come.
Post a Comment